Friday, November 1, 2013

One

Dear Clementine,
I felt you missing long before you were born. I couldn't put my finger on it right away, but somehow, as years passed, I knew that there was a little girl out there waiting for me. And then you came and instantly our family felt complete.


You are loved by so many people. Sometimes that love is a bit overwhelming for you, but I trust you'll grow to appreciate the spotlight you were born into.


You are our sweetest baby. When the boys were your age, I felt like they were on a mission to destroy the house. You just want to look at everything.


My aunt Bobbi sent me this funny doll that my mom made long ago. It's a cloth mama doll with all her babies in a basket and they all have these weird pinched faces. I studied this doll and her accessories and had to wonder what my mom was thinking when she made this. I didn't know what else to do with her and so I put it on the shelf in your bedroom.

And then I saw you playing with her, you would take the babies out and inspect them before placing them back into the basket. Somehow it all made sense to me in that moment. My mom made that silly doll for you.
 

We had your birthday party at a bar because that's the kind of family you were born into. You didn't seem to mind. You weren't even really that interested in the cupcake we gave you, but when you received a soft white stuffed bunny, you were absolutely thrilled.


You came into our family at such a perfect time. There is so much kid energy in our lives right now. You fit right in.









You took your first steps today. You are well on your way to becoming a toddler and I know that if I blink too many times, you'll be in kindergarten. And while I can't wait to see what kind of five-year-old you will be, I do want these baby years to slow down, please. You are my last baby. Please don't grow up too fast.

Happy first birthday, Clementine.

Your family loves you so.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Clementine! Love this:

    "And then I saw you playing with her, you would take the babies out and inspect them before placing them back into the basket. Somehow it all made sense to me in that moment. My mom made that silly doll for you."

    Brought tears to my eyes this morning. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete