Sunday, July 4, 2010

Chico: The First Chapter

Well, I've gotten it down to about 25 pictures so I guess the retelling of my trip to California will be a two-parter. Besides, you could not possibly handle 25 pictures in a row of the three cutest kids EVER who are so cute and doing such cute things that your brain just might explode from all of the cuteness if you tried to see them all in one sitting. I'm just sayin' the kids were pretty cute together. Also, by some crazy fluke, I pretty much only have pictures of the kids. I know, crazy.

So, the road trip down. It was okay. I had an agenda that included a lot of stops and some secret presents and some sugar filled treats. Plus I was fresh with enthusiasm and eagerness to reach my destination so we even got an early start. Yes, an early start! Be impressed. It was impressive. Jack and I talked about random things and we listened to a lot of music and it turns out that both kids really like Death Cab for Cutie, which I find funny, and is a refreshing change from Bob Marley and Jack Johnson, which have been Jack's favorites for oh say a year now. I stopped at Lithia Park in Ashland and we had a picnic and the kids did some wading, which was nice because I could feel the temperature rising. Before I knew it two hours had passed and it was time to get back on the road. I surprised Jack with a toy laptop and he was ecstatic.





Driving over the passes really sucked. I felt like I was in some sort of mortal combat with wily truckers and hairpin curves in the road. So naturally I responded appropriately when I felt the urge to photograph Mount Shasta while driving. I also sent a few texts from the road. Judge not lest ye be judged.

The highlight of our passage through the Siskiyous and Shastas was Jack's sudden revelation that he had to poop RIGHT NOW NO I CANNOT WAIT STOP THE CAR! I pulled off at the sign marked "Scenic Viewpoint" and Jack did the deed right then and there on the side of the road. Scenic indeed.

Both kids fell asleep before we descended into Redding and the real heat wave hit like a swift slug in the stomach. I could see the temperature rising on the thermostat and in the rear view mirror I watched the kids turn rosy and their hair dampened right before my eyes. The car was like a swamp and it just kept getting hotter. My legs were glued to the leather seat. As luck would have it, the kids both woke up with about 45 minutes to spare and spent the last leg of the journey whining pitifully in the backseat. It was as if the heat had sucked away their will to protest. By the time we hit Chico the thermostat read 105.

Upon our arrival we were greeted by my aunt Bobbi, my cousin Lauren, her boyfriend Tim, and Lauren's daughter Audrey. Oh, and an air conditioned house and plenty of cold beer, too. Tim and Sawyer hit it off immediately. Jack and Audrey bonded over their shared love for meerkats and swimming pools. I had plenty of time to visit with Bobbi and Lauren, which was exactly what I needed. Five days in a house with a one year old, a two year old, and a three year old was quite the experience, but it was all really, really fun. Jack and Sawyer were thrilled to be somewhere new and to play with someone else's toys (the talking tea set was by far the favorite, most squabbled over toy of the week) and Audrey was thrilled to have two other little people staying at her house and playing with her and her toys.




Audrey is the sweetest little girl. As the mom of two boys I find that little girls are often like little enigmas to me. They seem so dainty and thoughtful compared to my two little goons. Audrey is plenty silly, but she's also got a certain seriousness to her that makes her seem like an old soul. She is so totally bonded to Lauren and it took her awhile to warm up to me, but let me tell you, when she let me pick her up and snuggle her and she gave me Eskimo kisses my heart absolutely melted on the floor. I love this little girl.



Coming up next: how I managed to get everyone to sleep, why my Chico family totally rocks, too many more pictures of the kids, and the uneventful yet hellishly long return trip. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Cassadie, have I told you that you take great pictures? You do. Really great.

    ReplyDelete