Sunday, January 15, 2012

Picking Up the Spare

A little known and quite random fact about me is that I am actually kind of good at bowling.

"You know, it's weird that you're good at bowling 'cause you really don't seem like you would be," Brent told me after a recent ass-kicking at the bowling alley.

But I know what he means. I'm usually not good at things that involve physical coordination or strength. I do, however, have a bowling strategy: I pick up the spare.

I think most people aim for the strike right away, but that would never work for me. I almost never get strikes. But I do get spares, and that's how I win the game.








And since it's January and we're all setting those pesky resolutions for the new year, I think I'll just say right now that I plan to go for the spare rather than the strike this year. I struck out last year when I set the bar way too high by attempting to acknowledge your birthdays. I do that too much: expect great things of myself and then feel bad when I can't make it happen.

It turns out that there are a lot of things that I simply cannot make happen.

So I'm just going to be okay with that. That's my resolution: I'm giving myself a break.

Because when I make lists of five billion things to do on my days off, there's no time for this.



(Can you find Lulu?)





And although I'd love to keep enthralling you with my bowling metaphors, instead I am going to veg out on the couch with my man and hope for snowflakes tonight. Because there's no list for tomorrow and I am feeling pretty darn good about that.

In other words, I'm going to go enjoy my spare time.

(Sorry! Couldn't help myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment