Friday, April 16, 2010

Easter Part 2 and SAWYER!

Oh look, here he is! Our sweet and silly little second child, Sawyer. Sawyer is fearless and while Jack is cautious around the chickens (and rightfully so!), Sawyer chases them around and picks them up and tries to pet them. He loves those birds.


Jack keeps his distance and gets irritated when they interfere with his gardening.


I like the chickens okay. I mean, they are weird little creatures and they are definitely not smart or cuddly like a pet would be. Also, they can be a bit aggressive and I get nervous when they come pecking around while I'm wearing flip flops. But I do so love those fresh eggs. I'll never be able to eat grocery store eggs again.

Keeping chickens is just another way that we can be self-reliant with our food and we feel it's important to know where our meals are coming from. Also, despite the fact that the egg has been vilified for its fat and cholesterol content, when you don't eat a lot of meat, eggs are a great source of protein. So I forgive those chickens for pecking at my toes.

We had Easter dinner with Grandma and Great Grandma. The Easter Bunny had been more generous at their house and the boys got actual baskets. Like I said, he'll really need to get his act together for next year. Jack doesn't forget things easily.


Is there some sort of contest that Sawyer could enter for his stylish baby fashions? The kid's been living in onesies and babylegs for awhile now since we are too lazy to deal with the whole pants over onesies business. He seems to have inherited the dreaded Mitchell No Butt, so the onsie is an essential part of the outfit because it holds the bulky cloth diaper in place. I'm sure he will hate us for this someday.


You know me, I just can't resist a good dessert photo. Mini cupcakes and chocolate dipped strawberries followed our Easter dinner- yum!

Ever since we got Ruby and Hazel as chicks last spring, I have had a harder time eating chicken. I'm okay with it if somebody else has done the cooking, but I just can't seem to bring myself to deal with the flesh myself. It would be one thing if I knew that store bought chicken had been raised humanely, but unfortunately I'm a bit too aware of how meat birds are raised to be able to support that industry in good conscience. Someday we will buy ethically treated chicken meat, but that's not in the budget right now so consequently we have not been eating much meat around here for the past year or so. Brent has really been missing our Chicken Tortilla Soup, so I created a vegetarian version that we've been really digging.

Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

1 cup black beans
1 cup pinto beans
1 cup corn
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. cumin
1 small can sliced olives
4 cups vegetable broth

Put all ingredients in a pot, cover and let simmer for 0ne hour. Garnish with fresh cilantro, avocado slices, sour cream, grated cheese, lime, and crushed tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment