Thursday, January 21, 2010

We Eat, I Sew, We Attempt to Photograph

Is it just me, or do these cheeks look positively delicious? You should see his thighs... this guy is one solid little baby chunk. Lately he seems to be eating more than Jack (and he still has no teeth!).


Speaking of eating, I recently concocted a new and exciting dinner dish that will surely become one of our old faves in no time. I adapted it from this recipe from Martha Stewart (yeah, that's right, I said Martha Stewart- don't be hatin'). So here you go:


Peanut Butter Noodles (AKA Sesame Noodles, if you are describing them to an adult. For the picky toddlers, stick with the original title)

1/2 box (give or take) whole wheat spaghetti noodles
1 pound tofu, cubed

1 red pepper, thinly sliced

1/2 yellow or red onion, halved and thinly sliced

2 heads broccoli, cut into florets

1/4 cup peanut butter

2 T soy sauce

3 T brown sugar

2 T rice vinegar

1 T sesame oil

2-4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 t red pepper flakes

Saute cubed tofu in vegetable oil until lightly browned and set aside. Cook spaghetti noodles until 3 minutes before al dente. Add red pepper slices, onion, and broccoli to the noodles and water and boil for 3 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup water.


For the sauce, whisk together remaining ingredients. Add to noodles, vegetables, and tofu and toss to coat, adding reserved water to thin sauce if needed. Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.


So easy and so delicious.


Anyhoo, aside from my culinary endeavors, I've also been doing a bit of sewing. Brent's mom just let me borrow this amazingly creative and super fun book called One-Yard Wonders, which is a book about- you guessed it- sewing projects that use a yard (or less) of fabric. Now those are my kind of projects. And so, I give you Elodie the Elephant, versions 1 and 2...


Elodie #1 took me a couple of hours to figure out. The ears were tricky and she just doesn't stand up quite right. Elodie #2 was a piece of cake. Her ears went on without a hitch and I sewed a handful of black beans into her derriere so she sits up just fine. I guess these ladies will be birthday presents for the boys (although I am tempted to keep one for myself!).



I'm not sure why I even bother trying to get decent pictures of the two of these yahoos together. Sawyer does not look quite so cartoon characterish in real life. Jack always looks this goofy.

2 comments:

  1. That top picture of Sawyer is BEAUTIFUL! Love those eyes, and, of course, the cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sesame (er, uh, peanut butter) noodles sound very good actually. I love to cook with the stuff, and even sometimes I'll take some cut up chicken breast and marinate it in a little bit of sesame oil before I fry it up in the pan for a stiry fry meal. Adds quite a lot of flavor.

    ReplyDelete